This is a just-for-fun stock market game. No (real) money involved.
Rules for the Champions League 2019/20 Stock Market Game
Players buy and sell stocks of the teams participating in the Champions League 2019/20, e.g. Tottenham or Juventus. The player who is best at trading stocks when the price is right wins by owning the most valuable portfolio of stocks at the end of the game.
Stocks are traded in the Stock Market Game currency ₵ called "coin". The price of a stock goes up and down during the tournament, according to supply and demand. The value of a stock at the end of the Champions League is determined by the results of the teams as shown below.
Final value of stocks
|final position||stock value|
|semi finalist||500 ₵|
|quarter finalist||300 ₵|
|proceeding to knock-out stage||200 ₵|
|3rd place in group||130 ₵|
|4th place in group||100 ₵|
Start of the game
At the start of the game, each player gets 300,000 ₵ or 300 k₵ in cash. At any time you can purchase a set of stocks from the bank. The price for a set of 1 stock of each team is 7,340 ₵.
If a player didn't trade at all, that player would finish with the initial 300 k₵. Skillful trading, that means predicting changes in stock prices earlier than other players, will raise the value of a player's portfolio.
Stocks can be bought or sold at any time. The price is determined by supply and demand. Whenever a player buys a stock, the price goes up by 1 ₵, and when a player sells, the price goes down by 1 ₵. You can trade stocks at the press of a button, or by placing an order. Orders will be carried out automatically, even when you’re offline. An order looks like this:
- Buy up to 50 stocks of Real Madrid for 440 ₵ or less. This means that you will automatically buy Real Madrid stocks as soon as the price is at 440 ₵ or below.
- Sell up to 40 stocks of Anderlecht for 315 ₵ or more.
An order may also have an expiry date, for example
- Buy up to 10 stocks of Bayern Munich for 365 ₵ or less, and this order expires when Bayern Munich's next game starts.
To keep the game fair to players with a slower Internet connection, or a somewhat slower mouse finger, there is a restriction: a player can buy or sell at most 5 stocks of each team per minute. Selling, say, 100 stocks of a team takes at least 20 minutes.
Trading begins 48 hours before the start of the first group match. Players can place orders before then, but the orders will not yet be carried out. The orders placed before the start of the game determine the initial price – the price is set so that supply and demand are balanced.
- Stocks are always traded at full coins ₵, there are no fractions of coins.
- Stocks are never split up into fractions of stocks.
- There are no transaction fees.
- Players can change or cancel open orders at any time.
- Stocks are only traded with the bank. The bank doesn’t profit from the trades and only acts to make trades possible since players cannot directly trade with each other.
- The price to buy a stock is 1 ₵ lower than the price to sell. This is so that the bank doesn’t lose cash when the prices go up and down.
- Players that regularly participate in the trading get a bonus of 400 ₵ per day. This bonus is paid at midnight GMT to players that made at least one transaction in the last 21 days. The bonus is only paid out if there was a Champions League game in the last 7 days starting with round 2 of the group stage.
- The minimum trading price is 100 ₵, the maximum price is 1,000 ₵. The minimum trading price is adjusted when it is certain that a stock will be worth more than 100 ₵.
- If the final rank of a team is known, the value of its stock is paid out to the players owning the stocks. No further trading of that team is possible.
- Players cannot make debts, that means they cannot buy stocks if they don't have enough cash.
Players can, however, place orders whose total value exceeds their available cash.
The orders can be carried out when the player has enough cash.
Placing buy orders without having enough cash may seem pointless, but it can indeed make sense. For example, say you have 600 ₵ cash and Barcelona and Benfica are both traded for 340 ₵ at the moment. You may want to buy either 1 stock of Barcelona for 310 ₵ or 1 stock of Benfica for 325 ₵, whatever becomes available at that price. You can place both orders and you will buy a share if the market price of one of the teams falls to that level. It would even make sense to place an order for 2 stocks of Barcelona for 310 ₵ or less, because you might get 2 stocks if the price falls to 300 ₵.
- As mentioned above, players can purchase complete sets of stocks from the bank for the equivalent value in cash at any time. Initially, the equivalent value for a complete set of 32 stocks (1 of each team) is 7,340 ₵. After teams are eliminated, a complete set of stocks consists of less than 32 teams, and the equivalent value correspondingly is also less than 7,340 ₵. For example, just before the final, a complete set consists only of 2 teams and the equivalent value is 1,700 ₵ (the price for the winner and the runner-up).
- The sum of the prices of all teams is always equal to the current price of a set of stocks (initially 7,340 ₵). This ensures that a player cannot make money by just trading sets of stocks and then trading the teams individually. Making money should only be possible by predicting trends better than other players.
- Players can also sell complete sets of stocks to the bank and get the equivalent value in cash. Players need to own stocks of every team that is not yet eliminated in order to sell them to the bank.
- Players are listed in the ranking as soon as they have completed at least one trade.
- Only one account per person is allowed.
- Cooperation of players is strictly forbidden. Cooperation is defined as any activity that transfers stocks or cash from one player to the other in a way that intentionally harms one player while the other one benefits. An example of cooperation is selling stocks at an artificially low price. If we see such cooperation, all players involved will be eliminated from the game.
- Be polite when you make a post in the forum.