This competition is finished.
Champions League 2016/17 - Stock Market
This is a just-for-fun stock market game. No (real) money involved.
Rules for the Champions League 2016/17 Stock Market Game
Players buy and sell stocks of the teams participating in the group stage of the Champions League 2016/17, e.g. Arsenal or Juventus. The value of a stock at the end of the Champions League is determined by the results of the teams as explained below. The value of a stock during the Champions League is determined by the projection of the players on how the team will play. The player that is best in rating the teams will win by owning the most valuable portfolio of stocks at the end of the game.
Stocks are traded in the Stock Market Game currency ₵ called "coin".
Final value of stocks
|final position||stock price|
|semi finalist||500 ₵|
|quarter finalist||300 ₵|
|proceeding to knock-out stage||200 ₵|
|eliminated at group stage||100 ₵|
Beginning of the game
At the beginning of the game, each player gets 320,000 ₵ or 320 k₵ in cash. A player can at any time purchase a set of stocks from the bank. The price for a set of 1 stock of each team is 7,100 ₵. Players cannot purchase individual stocks from the bank, only compete sets. Players can buy and sell individual stocks to other players by placing orders.
If a player doesn't trade at all during the game, he would finish with the initial 320 k₵, no matter who wins the Champions League. Skillful trading, that means predicting changes in stock prices earlier than other players, will raise the value of a player's portfolio.
Initial trading phase
Trade begins 48 hours before the start of the first group match. Players can place orders before that day, but the orders will be executed only at that point in time. An order looks like this:
- Buy up to 50 stocks of Real Madrid for 440 ₵ or less.
- Sell up to 40 stocks of Eindhoven for 315 ₵ or more.
An order may also have an expiry date, for example
- Buy up to 10 stocks of Bayern Munich for 365 ₵ or less, and this order expires when Bayern Munich's next game starts.
The stock price for a trading phase is determined by demand and supply for each stock, by trading at the price at which demand equals supply.
Continuous trading phaseAfter the initial trade, subsequent trades are made continuously. Orders that are not fulfilled at the initial trading are carried over into this phase, and additional orders may be placed at any time. Orders are executed once per minute in this phase. In order to keep the chances of players intact with a slower Internet connection, or a somewhat slower mouse finger, there is a restriction: a maximum of 6 stocks per minute per player per team is traded. Any extra stocks of an order are carried over to the next minute. Selling 120 stocks of a team takes at least 20 minutes.
- Stocks are always traded at full coins ₵, there are no fractions of coins. The minimum trading price is 101 ₵, the maximum price is 999 ₵.
- Stocks are never split up into fractions of stocks.
- There are no transaction fees.
- Players can change or cancel open orders at any time.
- If the final rank of a team is known, e.g. if a team loses the quarter final, the value of its stock is paid out to the players owning the stocks. No further trading of that team is possible.
- Players cannot make debts, that means they cannot buy stocks if they don't have enough cash.
Players can, however, place orders whose total value exceeds their available cash.
Such orders cannot be fulfilled, unless the player sells enough stocks of other teams at the same time.
If a player is short in cash, some or all of his orders are postponed to the next trading phase.
The selection of orders that are postponed is done in a way that maximizes the overall trade volume.
Placing buy orders without having enough cash may seem pointless, but it can indeed make sense. For example if you have 600 ₵ cash and Barcelona and Benfica are both traded for 340 ₵ at the moment. You may want to buy either 1 stock of Barcelona for 310 ₵ or 1 stock of Benfica for 325 ₵, whatever becomes available at that price. You can place both orders and you will buy a share if the market price of one of the teams falls to that level. It would even make sense to place an order for 2 stocks of Barcelona for 310 ₵ or less, because you might get 2 stocks if the price falls to 300 ₵.
- As mentioned above, players can purchase complete sets of stocks from the bank for the equivalent value in cash at any time. Initially, the equivalent value for a complete set of 32 stocks (1 of each team) is 7,100 ₵. After teams are eliminated, a complete set of stocks consists in less than 32 teams, and the equivalent value correspondingly is also less than 7,100 ₵. For example, just before the final, a complete set consists only of 2 teams and the equivalent value is 1,700 ₵ (the price for the winner and the second). Players need to have at least 25,000 ₵ in cash to purchase a set of stocks. This rule prevents situations where a shortage of cash amongst all players brings trading to a halt.
- Players can also give back complete sets of stocks to the bank and get the equivalent value in cash. Players need to own stocks of every team that is not yet eliminated in order to give them back to the bank, as the bank never trades individual stocks, but only complete sets.
- Players that regularly participate in the trading get a bonus of 400 ₵ per day. This bonus is paid at midnight GMT to players that participated in at least one transaction with other players or with the bank in the last 21 days. The bonus is only paid when there was a Champions League game in the last 7 days.
- Players are listed in the ranking as soon as they have completed at least one trade with other players.
- Only one account per person is allowed.
- Cooperation of players is strictly forbidden. Cooperation is defined as any activity that transfers stocks or cash from one player to the other in a way that intentionally harms one player while the other one benefits. An example of cooperation is selling stocks at an artificially low price. If we see such cooperation, all affected players will be eliminated from the game.
- Be polite when you make a post in the forum.